Sunday, July 11, 2010

I don't believe it...

Yesterday I ran through my apartment for 5 minutes in total hysterics!

I must admit that I have severely neglegted my adeniums for the past year. I have watered them regularly and given them fertilizer... but that's about it.
They still had dry leaf tips and I had the feeling that they don't really like it at my place.
So I just left them in peace and hoped for a new apartment with bigger windows and a garden or balcony soon.

Yesterday (5 minutes before I had to leave) I made the standard check if every one of my "children" has enough water for the hot day to come and I let my eyes wander across my living room window sill.
"Well," I thought, "the adenium has grown a bit awry, I might have to turn it so that it will grow to the other side again." And then I thought "And it has some funny pink thing on its tip... and..."
And suddenly it hit me! My 2 and a half year old adenium has grown a flower bud!!!!

That was the moment the hysteria started... I ran through the apartment in search for a camera and in panic because I only had 5 minutes left or I would miss my train.

So, a few quick pics, another round of incredible hysteria, screaming and dancing... and then I left.

Now, here are the pics.


Adenium obesum on July 10, 2010

Aparently the adenium has tried to flower before. There is a dried up flower bud right underneath the other one that never had the chance to grow into a real flower.

Adenium obesum dried up flower bud on July 10, 2010

The hysteria is gone now but the wonder still remains.
What am I doing (right) with my plants??? First the faucaria at 1 3/4 years and now the adenium at 2 1/2 years...
And how in the world did I miss that? I mean, the flower bud did not just appear there yesterday morning. It must have been visible for at least a week... Apparently I haven't really looked at my plants in a long time!

The best thing is that this flower really is kind of a miracle. At green-24.de many people have grown adenium from seeds but someone told me today that so far only 3 people (well, make that 4...) have managed to get the adeniums to flower at the age of two.
Wow, I'm so proud!!!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Petra!
    oh yes you should be proud. it's a real accomplishment! i also noticed that so many people have sowed Adeniums out of some kind of a hype, but their plants rarely reach adulthood.
    i have a couple from 2008 as well. :) my mom, who's got my plants for the year, says they've grown a lot. i'm very excited to see them. who knows maybe they're all grown-up now as well, haha

    why won't you cut this one branch a bit for the next season to get more branches? if you don't you'll get a stick, you know. ;) also, more branches - more flowers :D it's old enough for that now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: do i see little gesinae (?) there in the corner? more of that please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Yes, that's gesinaes in the right corner. I'll post about them here as soon as I've got time. They are pretty unspectacular at the moment. Old enough to not show any particular differences from one year to the next, but not old enough to flower...

    You think I could/should cut the adenium? I don't know... I'm afraid that it won't flower next year if I do that. I don't want to cripple my only flower-willing adenium. ;-)
    But maybe I'll try this on one of the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i love gesinae! which Cole number is it? I have both, but they are green-ish, not red-ish. what a lovely color yours have :) did you grow them from seed?

    well, from what i read online, cutting adiniums is necessary at one point or another. after a radical cut they're always better and get more and better flowers the same year (i think they are to be cut during the winter sleep). you should do a bit of online research on this topic first, on how and when (and maybe really try on other adenium first). i'd be scared to do a radical cut on mine, too. that's why i've been doing cosmetic surgery on my plants almost right from the start: as soon as branches got too long for my taste, i would just remove the newest pair of leaves, to make it grow branches on other parts of it's budy. it's less brutal, i think. i don't know if it's enough for yours, they recommend a radical cut when the neck is long... i'm not an expert though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gesinae have no Cole number, unfortunately. I got the seeds (yes, they were "born" in my living room ;-) from my favourite dealer at ebay.
    I'm guessing that he lets his Lithops be pollinated without being too strict about the lineage.
    I don't know if they will get paler or less red over the years. The last two years, however, they have had this reddish-brown color. Could be a reaction to the sun, though.

    I will look into cutting my adeniums and how to do that... I'm sure they will survive and probably even be thankful for it. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the color! can you share the website of the dealer with me? i'd love to have red gesinae.. (by the way, if you yourself have too many, i'm buying ;) )
    and congratulations - you've grown really beautiful gesinae kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll post a few more detailed pics of the gesinae next weekend and then you can decide, if you'd like some... because... yes, I have a few too many ;-)
    The ebay dealer is this one.
    He has a succulent "farm" in Berlin and you can even visit him. I've never had the opportunity, but I know that they are very nice people. If you buy some of his Lithops seeds he always sends a little surprise along.
    But like I said there is no way to be sure that his gesinae seeds will turn out reddish like mine, or that mine will stay red when they grow at your place. So don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah thank you! this is very kind of you, i'd be more than happy to adopt a couple of your cute gesinae kids :) looking forward to the pictures~
    while it's surely true, that their color may change due to growing conditions, your red gesinae have just such a deep red color that i doubt they will change a lot in my home. thanks again! now i only need to come home... 6 weeks to go~

    being able to visit a succulent nursery would be so great... whereever i live, it seems that the nurseries are always too far away. have you been to Uwe Beyer's place? this is another nursery i'd love to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i remembered something i read in Steven Hammer's book: he writes that it's unlikely to get seeds from, for instance, gesinaeXlesliei. the result is no seeds/very weak (often ugly) seedlings with little chance of survival. i think these kids should be gesinaeXgesinae, even if the owner wasn't strict about the cole-nr (not that there were many options). :) i've been doing research before, and there actually is a red gesinae cultivar here in japan, with proper name and everything. but who cares about names and numbers when there's such beauty here :)

    ReplyDelete