Friday, July 30, 2010

The story of my Lithops otzeniana

I have been trying to grow otzeniana from seeds for a long time. But somehow I have never been successful. At the moment I have seeds waiting on wet soil for... well, I don't know what they are waiting for, really.
They just won't germinate. Maybe two or three out of a set of about 100 do germinate and a few weeks later I look away for a day or two and the next thing I know they are gone. Dried up as it seems.

I just don't know what I have to do with them...

But I'm not giving up, I recently ordered new seeds from Cono's paradise and most of them are otzeniana.

If they think they can discourage me, they are very much mistaken! ;-) The more they refuse to germinate and the more of them die right after germination, the more seeds I am going to buy!

Now I looked through my pictures a few days ago and I realized that I actually once had 3 (in words THREE) otzeniana seedlings.

I had sowed "some" (between 100 and 150) otzeniana seeds a few years ago and three of them survived... well, for a while anyway.

Here's what happened...

July 24, 2008:

No. 1


No. 2


No. 3


And this is for perspective... that's a 7cm diameter pot.


As it seems they got to the stage where they get their first real pair of leaves and also I must have separated them and repotted them.
Everything seemed to be really fine, for these three anyway.


February 22, 2009:

No. 1


No. 2 and No. 3 had died in the meantime. Just vanished, dried out without reason.


June 28, 2009:

No. 1:


He's still there and actually looking good.


January 21, 2010:

No. 1:


That is looking very good. A new pair of leaves is in the making, he seems to have the will to survive.


July 23, 2010:

... And the next thing I know, there is just an empty pot left. Another one just vanishes.

I don't have any pests (nor any pets for that matter) that could be responsible, no one who steals my seedlings, I have been watering them regularly just like all the other seedlings in that spot. All survive but the otzeniana die.
They must have just decided that they did not want to live anymore and then dried up in a matter of days without anything I could do against it.

But... as I said: I am not going to give up!!!
I WILL have otzeniana grown from seeds. I WILL find out what they need and what they want and then... I am going to tell you! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment