Saturday, August 11, 2012

Yes, Yes, Desert Rose... Again

I'm sorry to bother you with this plant and my pics of it... again.
But I am soooo proud of it and soooo happy that it chooses to flower for me so wonderfully.

The second flower started to open on Thursday. Today is Saturday and both flowers are still open without any sign of fatigue. That means that the first flower has now been open for nine days (it started to open Thursday, Aug 2)!

I sort of suspect the fertilizer I have been giving them this year. This is the first year they have gotten some decent food and it looks as if that was a good decision. In the past years the flowers (as far as I remember) only lasted a couple of days, but never a whole week long or even longer.
I will keep you updated on how long theses flowers actually stay open in the end.

But now, with no further ado, the result of my lates photoshooting. Adenium obesum times two:















All photos on this page: Adenium obesum flowers on August 9, 2012

7 comments:

  1. And why not! They look splendid. You should be proud. Hope I can get mine to flower this nicely one day. LT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping my fingers crossed that yours will flower soon, too!
      I have two more that won't flower, no matter what I do. So, I guess I'm just incredibly lucky with this one. ;)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, yes I hope so, but they are still small. Luck plays a part, but you should take a little more credit I think! LT

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are perfect. Sometimes Adenium flowers come with blemishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that that could happen with adenium flowers. Somehow mine have always looked like this. This year I'm just surprised that they last this long.
      Again, I guess I'm just lucky with this one. ;)

      I do get crippled leaves on all of my Adeniums sometimes, though. I haven't found out why they do that yet. I suspect that it's a sign that they need fertilizer again but it might be something else altogether.

      Delete
  3. Very beautiful flowers, and great photos too! Thanks for the tip on the fertilizer. Such delicate looking petals. Do they smell like roses? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I have to admit smelling them hadn't even occurred to me yet...
      Now that you've asked, I finally did and I can report: they don't smell much of anything really. They have a very faint general flowery scent but that's it.
      I guess they attract pollinators with their bright colors.

      Delete