Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Glow-Lithops

The last time I took pictures of my Lithops fulviceps, I noticed something cool and - being me ;) - I took advantage of it.

I took some glowy, see-through photos of some of my Lithops.

As you might know (or not...) Lithops are plants that have their chlorophyll on the inside. In order for the light to get to these cells, they need windows or other openings on the outside. This is exactly what can be seen here.
It's very interesting how different these windows are in the different species. Some have huge, uniform openings beneath their surfaces, some have spots that usually look solid and dark and others have only slightly translucent areas without real windows.


Lithops fulviceps


Lithops fulviceps


Lithops gracilidelineata


Lithops lesliei


Lithops lesliei


Lithops gesinae


Lithops salicola


Lithops dorotheae


Lithops julii


Lithops lesliei


Unknown Lithops from a seed mix


Lithops dorotheae


Lithops dorotheae

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photography! This is the reason I fantasize about someday living in a "Lithops House"- the glow is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete