Monday, November 19, 2012

Comments - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Spam Filter

My dear readers,

comments have never been a problem on any of my blogs before, but recently that has changed a little.
In the past couple of weeks I noticed that several well meant and positive comments from you folks have landed in Blogger's spam folder. I get an email about those, just as about any other comment, but unfortunately those emails leave out the fact that this comment has been classified as spam.

A couple of days ago on the other hand, I had a real spam comment for the first time ever. Someone posted a blah-blah sort of general comment on my pests page and added a link to a very unpleasant website (I did not open it, the name spoke for itself). This comment made it directly to the public page, seemingly bypassing Blogger's spam rules completely.

I guess it's a good thing that Blogger offers us a spam filter at all. And maybe mine just needs some fine tuning... admittedly it hasn't had a chance to do that yet with all your positive, genuine and nice comments. ;) But it is a little annoying that the good ones get caught and derailed whereas the bad ones get a free pass. Kinda seems to defeat its own purpose, don't you think?

So, if any of your comments don't make it to the posts directly, please don't worry! I will keep a special eye on comments in the future and will check the spam folder frequently!
(Maybe that will also lead to a little more diligence on my part when it comes to answering your comments... ;))

Wishing you a great week, lots of flowers and healthy plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment