Friday, January 4, 2013

Winter Beauties - Crassula Ovata Flowers

It is dark, gray and rainy outside at the moment, the Christmas lights have mostly been stored away already and Spring is nowhere in sight yet.

But... there is one little ray of sunshine on my windowsill:
Crassula Ovata Flowers

The flower buds grow slowly and they take a long time until they finally open. It's as if they collect energy in single, sparse rays of sunshine and only when they've gathered enough of those, they finally open.

I have only once before seen a crassula flower at all. All other plants I know have never flowered. So, I was particularly surprised when mine suddenly developed flower buds.

My crassula comes from a taller plant that lives at my mother-in-law's. That one had a small side shoot that almost called out to me to take it with me. I did and it grew nicely, first on my east facing windowsill in the warm living room and when it got too big for that, I put it on the south facing windowsill on the staircase together with many of my other happy succulents.
And there I pretty much just forgot about it. It gets quite cold there in the winter, but that seems to be something the crassula really likes.
Other than that I water it regularly and sometimes I give it some general fertilizer for "green plants" as it says on the bottle.

That's about it... and this is the result:


Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013


Crassula Ovata flower and flower bud on January 4, 2013


Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013

These two are from a wider perspective and taken with a flash to show the flowers on the actual plant:

Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013 (picture taken with flash)


Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013 (picture taken with flash)


Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013


Crassula Ovata flowers on January 4, 2013


My plants and I wish you all a Happy New Year!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy new year Petra! Wow, the Crassula ovata flowers are really pretty; lovely structures. Congrats on the blooms! :)

    ReplyDelete