Saturday, March 16, 2013

First New Plants This Year

It's hard, but I have to admit it. They say the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one, right? Well, I have a problem.
And that problem is: I cannot enter a garden center without buying new plants.
I can't just walk through and look, I HAVE to buy something. Most of the time I can contain my enthusiasm and remember how little room I have left on my window sills. But that still means I'm leaving with at least one new plant.

And guess where I've been last weekend... right, in a garden center. And this is the result:

One of the two new little plants I brought home with me is a crassula pyramidalis "Buddha's Temple". I love the geometry of it and I've wanted one for a long time. It was pure luck that this garden center had these as "succulent specialties".

Crassula pyramidalis "Buddha's Temple" on March 10, 2013


Crassula pyramidalis "Buddha's Temple" on March 10, 2013

And then there is this little beauty of which I have no idea what or who it is. But I'm sure I'll find out. It's a succulent, that much is certain, and that makes it the perfect plant for me. :) (Marla Robb told me in the comments below that this is a Crassula perforata variegata. Thanks, Marla!!!)
It's actually three separate plants in one pot, but they're still small enough so I left them together for now.


Crassula perforata variegata on March 10, 2013

Isn't it beautiful with its two-colored leaves? It was the last of its kind and it was hiding among several different Crassula ovata. It immediately caught my eye (while everyone else just seemed to overlook it) and for me that is always a sign to buy a plant.

3 comments:

  1. Crassula perforata variegata! I have one of those. The tips of the leaves will turn red if it's grown in a sunny spot outdoors. They are really easy to propagate with stem cuttings, so I have 3 growing from the parent plant. But I'm like you, I can't go to a nursery without bringing home one little plant....
    Hello, my name is Marla, and I'm a plantaholic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marla,
      YES, Crassula perforata variegata, that's the one! Thank you! And they look even more gorgeous with the red tips they get in the sun. I'm looking forward to that.

      And I'm with you on the "plantaholic". Maybe we should start a self-help group. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Really like the "column" type crasullas; they look like such wonderful living works of art. The variegata is a beauty too. I'm in the process of minimising my plant collection; very sad I know.

    ReplyDelete