Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lithops julii x marmorata Update

They have survived the winter nicely, have grown a new pair of leaves and since I have recently rejoined my old hunting grounds (plant forum), I thought I'd give you a quick update on my own personal Lithops creation.

This is all of them together. Unfortunately no more than these four have survived. But that's still something!

Lithops julii x marmorata seedlings on April 11, 2013

In this picture I managed to capture the light falling onto the Lithops from behind. And guess what? They glow, too!
There are also some markings visible. One might say they look typical for julii, but we all know that it's way too early to categorize them. :)

Two Lithops julii x marmorata seedlings on April 11, 2013

This one looks more like the marmorata part of its genes, but again, its too early for any specific statements.

Lithops julii x marmorata seedling on April 11, 2013

2 comments:

  1. Out of my approximately 100 Lithops seeds sown 1 year ago, I've got about 14 healthy young Lithops. So it seems that the ratio you have is about normal?? They have a lot of hurdles- germination- first leaf pair- releafing-developing a strong tap root. I guess about 10% is about right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, judging by the Lithops I've sown so far I'd also say this ratio is normal. I was hoping for a few more survivors, though, since I don't have any more of those seeds. But I think I will experiment again with cross pollination. I find that very interesting.
      Let's see what else we can create out of those beauties. ;)

      Delete