Friday, August 2, 2013

Lithops Julii Seed Capsule Video

I have wanted to make a time lapse video of this for a while now. Today I finally had the opportunity.
Unfortunately the capsule did not contain any seeds but it shows the opening and closing mechanism nicely.
The frames jump a little at some points, but I still think it's a nice view.

This whole thing happened over 80 minutes, I took a picture every 15 seconds.
The opening happens quite quickly but the seed capsule takes its time to close itself again.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Petra,

    Although I've seen lithops capsules open when wet many times, including those from my own plants, it is always exciting to watch. Thanks for sharing the video. Lithops are certainly wonderfully strange plants. I currently have about 100 Lithops seedlings coming along and I never tire of watching them grow up.

    http://stewart723.blogspot.com/2013/07/lithops-new-generation.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool video Petra! You did a great job. So Alien. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Ngeun and Bob! Glad you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog via Bob. Great video.

    ReplyDelete