Friday, October 25, 2013

This Year's Lithops Flowers

A few of my Lithops marmorata (and one julii) are flowering:


Lithops marmorata flower on October 22, 2013


Lithops marmorata flower on October 22, 2013


Lithops marmorata flower on October 22, 2013


Lithops marmorata flower on October 22, 2013


Lithops marmorata flower on October 22, 2013


And of course I've been playing "bee" again...


Lithops marmorata (left) and julii (right) cross pollinated (October 22, 2013)

I have put julii pollen onto three marmorata flowers and the pollen of one of the marmorata onto the julii flower.
I already have julii x marmorata seeds (and seedlings) but this has worked so well that I really want to try it again (especially in the other direction, getting seeds from a marmorata seed pod).

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I'm lithops newbies. Thank you for nice blog. I've just bought lithops for the first time. The green one - sorry, I have no idea about spp. still have dry flower on it. How do I will know that

    ReplyDelete
  2. How will I know that it's gonna be a seed or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zi,
      thank you for your comment!

      You can remove the dry flower petals carefully (scrape them off) and underneath them there might be a seed capsule. Check out these posts to see what a seed capsule looks like and how to open it: http://plant-whisperer.blogspot.de/search/label/Seed%20capsule

      If you have a seed capsule, you can only know whether it contains seeds by opening it. You can collect the seeds inside (if there are any), let them dry and then store them in a small envelope or something similar. If you keep them dry, they'll stay fertile for several years.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete