Thursday, October 9, 2014

Matucana Madisoniorum - I See Red

Taking pictures of my Matucana madisoniorum when it flowers is a challenge I have not yet mastered. I have taken so many great pics of my Echinopsis and my Adeniums and so on.

But this one... I just don't know what to do with all that RED.








Matucana madisoniorum flowers on October 3, 2014

Unfortunately the flower doesn't stay open for too long. Usually it's only open one or two days and then it withers and dries up.
I have missed several flowers of this little plant and only found dried up remains a couple of days later.
Also I have not yet found out around which time of day the flower is fully open. Every time I take pictures of one, it's always either just starting to open or already getting ready to close again.

I have two (or three? not sure right now) other Matucanas, all of which look distinctly different from this one. This one is quite big but thornless and it flowers. The others are smaller, have thorns but have not flowered once. I have no idea why they are so different, but I would love it if one of the others flowered as well, because I'd like to pollinate them.

I have also seen that there are white and yellow flowering variants. That would be a great addition to my windowsills as well. I think I'm going to see if I can find seeds of those somewhere or a small plant in one of our bigger garden shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment