Wednesday, October 1, 2014

New Little Adenium Obesum Plants

Last year during the late summer months - when the reasonable home gardener knows very well that it's already too late to sow new plants, *insert rolling eyes here* - I was browsing through ebay and stumbled upon Adenium obesum seeds.

As you all know I have already sown Adeniums from seed successfully.
These three specimens still thrive on my windowsills, one of them flowering twice a year, the other two stubbornly turning a deaf ear whenever I talk to them about maybe growing a flower bud or two. *insert another set of rolling eyes*

So I thought it might be time for another try at sowing Adeniums.

Now, I have to admit that I got a little carried away.
I KNOW perfectly well that when you're buying seeds, the flower color of the mother plant is no reference to what the child's flowers will look like.
But the images of the flowers were so stunning (I also successfully ignored the thought that they might have been photoshopped *roll...*) and the price was reasonable so I HAD TO give in and I bought seeds.

I saved the images that came with the ebay auction, but since I don't own the copyright, I can't post them here. But I can do my best to describe them to you.

I bought three sets of seeds:

Adenium obesum "Chagiara"
This is a purple flower with a bit of white. The gullet (or pharynx or whatever this is called in botany) is purple and the flower petals are broadly lined by purple, too. But the middle parts of the flower petals are white. The flower petals are round-ish and the plant's leaves are pointy.

Adenium obesum "Dark Love"
The "Dark Love" has a dark red/pink flower that's almost black. The gullet, however is white with only narrow dark red stripes. The flower petals are dark red (or dark pink) in the center around the gullet and then quickly merge into almost black towards the middle and edge of the petals.

Adenium obesum "Honey"
The "Honey" has a honey colored flower with orange veins and outer petal rims. The gullet is yellow with a green tinge and pronounced orange veins running down it. The stigmata are yellow with orange stripes.

I know my plants won't have flowers like the ones I described here, but even if they have only a margin of these features left in them, they will be interesting and very gorgeous flowers.


And now for my little plants that came from these seeds:

The Chagiara is the only one that survived from my first try in August 2013. but it didn't really grow well during the winter so it's now exactly as well developed as its younger siblings from spring 2014.

Young Adenium obesum 'Chagiara' plant, photo date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Chagiara" seedling on September 30, 2014 - sown 2013-08-25

The "Honey"s have been sown in April of this year and I am astonished to see how well developed they are, given the fact that they are only half a year old.

Young Adenium obesum 'Honey' plant, photo date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Honey" seedling on September 30, 2014 - sown 2014-04-05

Young Adenium obesum 'Honey' plant, photo date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Honey" seedling on September 30, 2014 - sown 2014-04-05

The "Dark Love"s have also been sown in April of this year. I don't know if it's because they got more direct sun than the Honeys or if it's just in their nature... but just look at their red bellies!

Young Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' plant in pumice soil, picture date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Dark Love" seedling on September 30, 2014

Young Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' plant in pumice soil, picture date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Dark Love" seedling on September 30, 2014

Young Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' plant in pumice soil, picture date 2014-09-30
Adenium obesum "Dark Love" seedling on September 30, 2014

Close-up of Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' seedling leaves, photo date 2014-09-30
Close-up of Adenium obesum "Dark Love" leaves on September 30, 2014

Close-up of Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' seedling leaves, photo date 2014-09-30
Close-up of Adenium obesum "Dark Love" leaves on September 30, 2014

Close-up of Adenium obesum 'Dark Love' seedling leaves, photo date 2014-09-30
Close-up of Adenium obesum "Dark Love" leaves on September 30, 2014

Five young Adenium obesum plants in a plastic tray, picture date 2014-09-30
Group picture with Adenium obesum "Honey" in the foreground (2x) and Adenium obesum "Dark Love" in the background (3x) on September 30, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment